Why Covid 19 Vaccine Is A Must For Children & Teens (2022)
With emerging times, we observe newer variants coming in. Covid alone has enhanced and emerged into multitudes of variants. After the Pandemic, we saw a surge in the production of the covid 19 vaccine. Previously, only adults and senior citizens needed to be vaccinated. Now, with a mandate, the government suggests children be vaccinated as well. With a green signal from the government, it is time to get kids 15 years and above vaccinated at the earliest. Here are the things that you need to know before getting your child vaccinated.
1. Why Should Children & Teens Be Covid 19 Vaccinated?
It is necessary to take precautions and avoid the covid-19 virus from spreading. With newer variants coming into the market, we observed the newer mutants to be less lethal. Although it still lingers a wide spread. Hence the precaution of getting your child vaccinated becomes a mandatory requirement. As compared to adults, children are more likely to face the COVID-19 infections and:
- Experience bad health due to COVID-19
- Suffer from both short as well as long term complications from COVID-19
- Encourage the spread of the COVI-19 virus at home, school & even outside
We have observed that children infected with the COVID-19 virus might also tend to develop complications like multisystem inflammatory syndrome. In this condition, one might experience inflammation in different body parts, including the kidneys, heart, lungs, brain, skin, eyes, and gastrointestinal organs. With the pandemic unfolding, more than 2,300 similar cases have been seen in children and teens. Children & teens specified with underlying medical illnesses can be considered to be at a higher risk. Such children might even experience severe symptoms as compared to children without any underlying medical conditions. This makes it all the more important to be vaccinated. Being administered with the covid 19 vaccine will help them develop an inherent immunity against the Covid-19 virus.
2. Covid 19 vaccines are safe for children and teens
Clinical trials have been conducted by well-known professionals and scientists. As no serious safety concerns were identified by them, children & teens can now be vaccinated safely. Although there are certain risks involved, that might occur. It was observed that the benefits outweigh the known risks. As covid19 vaccines are being developed & monitored for safety, make sure your child gets vaccinated if he/she is 15years of age or above.
- Serious health effects after vaccination are rare.
- You may get your child vaccinated with the covid-19 vaccine as well as other vaccines at the same time.
- Allergic reactions are common and may happen after any vaccine.
- The child cannot get covid-19 from any covid-19 vaccine.
- Covid 19 vaccines do not cause fertility problems in teens.
3. Potential Side Effects of Covid 19 Vaccine
Although the side effects might affect your child’s ability to carry out daily activities, within a few days it should be back to normal. Many cases have been seen to have no reactions or side effects. In case your child experiences any severe side effects after getting a covid-19 vaccine shot, do consult a healthcare professional or doctor. As aspirin is not recommended for children & teens less than 18yrs of age, ask your doctor for advice to relieve pain, if any. If any discomfort is experienced, please place a cool damp cloth in the injection site. Fever, headache, fatigue, and pain at the injection site are the most commonly reported side effects.
4. Preparing Children & Teens For Covid 19 Vaccine
Even though the experience might be similar to other vaccinations, it is important to have a word with your child. So that they are aware of the procedure. Use the following tips to support your child before, during, and after the vaccination process.
- Talk to your child about the procedure
- Do not administer any pain relievers before the vaccination.
- In case your child has any allergies, take an expert’s advice beforehand.
- To prevent fainting, ensure your child is seated or lying down during the vaccination and 15 minutes after as well.
- In case any severe reactions are observed, consult an expert immediately.
We recommend you get your child vaccinated if he/ she is 15 years or above. Vaccination can help prevent the Covid-19 virus from entering the body and making its body immune to it. Moreover, ensure that your child has a high immunity and good metabolism. It is important to provide them with significant amounts of nutrition and minerals. You can know more about the foods to eat to boost your child’s immunity here. Make sure you take good care of your child amidst these times.Previous Next